A Glimpse into Winter’s Appeal – a Time of Giving Thanks
As fall transforms the Fells and wind scatters leaves to the forest floor in a riot of motion and color, I’m reminded of how lucky we are to have nature and wildness so close by.
If you’re like me, and want to make sure our forest is protected for decades to come, please consider making a gift to the Friends of the Middlesex Fells Reservation today.
Thanks for being a protector of the forest.
No matter how you like to spend your time out in nature at the Fells, the work of the Friends of the Fells ensures you’ll be able to enjoy the “people’s forest” year after year.
Thanks to the support of community members like you, over the past year we have:
- Protected the Fells from the development of a hockey rink at the “90mm site,” now being revitalized as a pollinator garden supporting 76 species of butterflies, including Monarchs and rare elfin butterflies.
- Nurtured stewardship of the forest by providing 2,913 nature experiences through our Babes In the Woods, Hike ‘n’ Seek, themed nature walks, and Forest Kindergarten, Forest Explorers, and Forest Adventurers summer camp programs.
- Maintained more than 100 miles of trails throughout the Fells thanks to volunteer Trail Adopters and many partner organizations, including Tufts University students.
- Led community members in 1,084 hours of volunteer service to battle invasive plant species and keep trails safe and accessible for nearly 100,000 Fells visitors.
THIS JUST IN! Each $1 you donate will be matched with a donation to the R.J. Weggel Fund for the Friends of the Fells. Help us maximize this matching gift by donating today!
Help us expand our work for the Fells and the community-at-large.
We have ambitious plans for the coming year. With your support, we are:
- Poised to serve more local middle- and high-school students in learning about the ecology of the Fells and engaging them in our advocacy and stewardship activities.
- Expanding our conservation work in partnership with Earthwise Aware, supporting citizen science efforts to collect data in the Fells to better understand natural systems and the effects of climate change on the forest.
- Ramping up our advocacy efforts to support legislation to combat invasive species and championing the passage of the Public Lands Protection Act, which will strengthen protections for the Fells and nature spaces across the Commonwealth.
We can’t advance our work without your support – so please make a gift today at friendsofthefells.org/donate.
Friends of the Middlesex Fells Reservation
P.S. Donating your IRA Required Minimum Distribution or appreciated stock to Friends of the Middlesex Fells may have tax benefits. Consult with your financial advisor for details on your particular tax situation.
Photos courtesy of Mike Ryan, Friends of the Fells
Latest posts by Friends of the Fells (see all)
- Volunteers Needed– Hike with Babes in the Woods This Spring - February 14, 2020
- Meet Your Wild Neighbors with Naturalist Bob Metcalfe! - February 13, 2020
- Thank you: record-breaking generosity fuels our work in 2020 and beyond - January 10, 2020