THIS JUST IN: A generous donor has agreed to match all gifts to our winter appeal, up to $15,000! This means your gift will be doubled, if received by January 31.
Thanks to your support, the Friends of the Fells has seen tremendous growth in our ability to protect the Fells’ valuable habitats, flora, and fauna, and to make the Fells a safe and welcoming space for everyone.
A few highlights of our work in 2022 include:
- We’ve started to implement a Be Kind! campaign, designed to create a parks culture that welcomes everyone and encourages a sense of responsibility for the environmental health of the Fells.
- In 2022 we increased our advocacy efforts, which has resulted in the passage of the Public Lands Preservation Act (PLPA), increased funding for DCR, and a push for the establishment of patch reserves in the Fells.
- We’ve doubled our capacity to protect and enhance habitats and maintain the Fells trail system by hiring TerraCorps Land Stewardship Coordinator Ashley McCoy.
- In collaboration with DCR, we began a multi-year invasive plant management initiative that will defend the Fells’ rich biodiversity by protecting sensitive habitat areas from being overtaken by invasives.
- Our tremendously expanded hiking program offered more than 230 free guided hikes in the past nine months, including themed educational walks, and social hikes for women, LGBTQ+ communities, “Hike N Seek” outings for families with toddlers, and more.
- A new “Fells Kids” after-school nature program is being piloted this fall in collaboration with the Stoneham Boys and Girls Club, providing middle-school students with fun, exploration, and nature learning in the Fells.
Our plans for the future are bold. They must be, to meet the pressing needs of our beloved “people’s forest.” We hope you’ll join us in advancing this work.