Job opportunity | 2019
The Friends of the Middlesex Fells Reservation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit membership organization in the Metro North Boston area. The Friends’ mission is to strive for the protection and harmonious use of the Fells, and to promote awareness, policies and programs that celebrate and preserve this public resource for current and future generations.
We are currently looking for qualified individuals for the following Forest Instructor positions:
Youth Positions Available
- Forest Kindergarten – program leaders (for ages 4-5)
- Forest Explorers – program leaders (for ages 5+-7)
- Forest Adventurers – program leaders (for ages 8-12)
Friends of the Fells is currently seeking forest instructors for summer 2019. Summer programming Monday-Friday in morning, afternoon, and full-day sessions for the last week of June 24-28, and the months of July and August, 2019. Although schedules may vary, the all-day session runs from 9 am to 4 pm with a 30 minute paid lunch break.
Each of these programs is designed to meaningfully connect children with nature through experiential learning, and unstructured outdoor play. We are seeking applicants who are passionate about both nature and children to lead this outdoor program. If you are interested in leading any of these programs, or to read more about them, go to our website: www.friendsofthefells.org/youth-programs.
Desired skills, experience and requirements
- Knowledge and experience as a naturalist, scouting, and/or early-childhood educator
- Passion for being outdoors, and for sharing nature with children
- Basic knowledge of local flora and fauna (or the willingness to learn)
- Energy and enthusiasm for playing, singing, and simply being outdoors with young children
- Access to reliable transportation
- Current certification in CPR/First Aid
- CORI/SORI background check
- Experience working with special needs children a plus, but not required
- Photography and written documentation skills preferred
Hours and compensation
This is a seasonal, temporary, part-time position. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. A minimum of one year environmental and one year education experience required.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to Ann Frenning Kossuth, Friends of the Fells Youth Programs Director, at email@example.com.