Seeking 2019 forest instructors for summer
The Friends of the Middlesex Fells Reservation (The Friends) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit membership organization in the Metro North Boston area. The Friends’ mission is to strive for the protection and harmonious use of the Fells, and to promote awareness, policies and programs that celebrate and preserve this public resource for current and future generations. The Friends relies primarily on volunteers and part-time staff to serve the community by providing educational and recreational programs in and about the Fells.
We are currently looking for qualified individuals for the following positions:
Summer Youth Positions Available
Forest Kindergarten – Program Leaders (ages 4-5)
Forest Explorers – Program Leaders (ages 5+-7)
Forest Adventurers – Program Leaders (ages 8-12)
The Friends of the Fells is seeking youth program leaders for summer (last week of June, plus July + August) to facilitate the morning and afternoon sessions of the following programs: Forest Kindergarten (ages 4-5), and Forest Explorers (ages 5+-7), and Forest Adventurers (ages 8-12) programs. Forest Kindergarten and Explorers will be at DCR Botume House on Woodland Road in Stoneham and the Adventurers will be at DCR Flynn Rink in Medford.
Each of these programs is designed to meaningfully connect children with nature through experiential learning, and unstructured outdoor play. We are seeking applicants who are passionate about both nature and children to lead this outdoor summer program. If you are interested in leading any of these programs, or to read more about them, please visit our website: friendsofthefells.org/youth-programs.
Desired skills, experience and requirements
- Knowledge and experience as a naturalist, scouting, and/or early-childhood educator
- Passion for being outdoors, and for sharing nature with children
- Basic knowledge of local flora and fauna (or the willingness to learn)
- Energy and enthusiasm for playing, singing, and simply being outdoors with young children
- Access to reliable transportation
- Certification or willing to become CPR/First Aid certified
- CORI/SORI background checks (Friends of the Fells will perform)
- 3 professional references
- Experience working with special needs children preferred but not required
- Skill with photography also a plus
Hours and compensation
This is a seasonal part-time position, hours may vary but average M-F, 8:30 am to 4 pm for vacation programs. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
To apply, email your cover letter, resume, and 3 references to Ann Frenning Kossuth, Youth Programs Director.
Ann Frenning Kossuth
Director, Youth Programs
Friends of the Middlesex Fells Reservation
c/o The Beebe Estate
235 West Foster Street
Melrose, MA 02176
In addition to these paid opportunities, we can always use more people involved in our work. Please check our Volunteer Opportunities page for information about how you can get involved.