Wright’s Tower was constructed in 1937 under the direction of the Works Progress Administration. In 2008, following restoration of the tower by DCR, a plaque commemorating the visionary who was responsible for the creation of the Fells was attached to the tower. The inscription reads:
IN HONOR OF ELIZUR WRIGHT
“The years of whose unceasing labor was the natural foundation of the Metropolitan Park System, and whose aim was that the Middlesex Fells should be forever preserved as a People’s Forest Park.”
Daughter Ellen Wright in a letter to the Board of the Metropolitan Park Commission in 1896.